Friday, January 20, 2023

More Personal Projects of 2022

 Aside from the submissions I sent to Paperdoll Review magazine, I created a few projects that sold on my own or created for other reasons. There weren't a lot of those projects in 2022. Some of them were re-working previous sets and some were created for specific reasons. 

 

The first project I want to share is my "Hometown Girl". We have a local free newspaper (MethuenLife) who was looking for women who turned their passions into careers. I was featured, along with a couple of friends, and a few other local women. I made and shared this paper doll for the May issue. After that, the arts editor contacted me about an interview, which ran in the December issue. This paper doll features some of the unique things about the town I live in. It was so much fun! 

Another unique opportunity I had was creating paper dolls for a fashion line. Each of the fashions in this set is based on real-life clothing. It was a lot of fun adapting fashions to my existing mix & match paper dolls series. Created on my Surface in Adobe Illustrator. They are available as a file for download on my Etsy site.

This year also marked my first paper doll convention. It might be my last, too, because no others have been booked yet. There are regional parties which I highly recommend! It was a fantastic experience. I don't have many pictures because I was busy enjoying it!! I did, however, submit a painting for the silent auction and this paper doll was created to go along with the painting. This is another Procreate project where I'm still working out how to use the program (app? I dunno!). 

My long-suffering blog didn't get a lot of attention in 2022. I was busy with a lot of things and didn't devote much attention to it. Same goes for the Etsy site. One of the biggest projects on the ol' blog this year was the Witchtober set with Rachel. Another really fun set that I loved so much I re-used the doll. 

My biggest personal project of the year was a commission I received from a lovely lady I met at the convention. She asked me to create a custom paper doll as a gift for her granddaughter. It's a portrait based on a photo and the wardrobe is a mix of her real-life clothing & some that I made up to fit her interests. I printed it as a paper doll book for her and she was just thrilled with it! This might be a service I offer as a custom project on Etsy. I haven't decided yet. Regardless, it was such a learning experience as a joy to work on. 

Finally, my last personal project of the year is one I almost didn't share. I took my 2018 doodle-a-day project and turned it into a calendar. My art has improved significantly since then, but it's a project that still means a lot to me and felt unfinished. I turned it into a calendar (you can get it here) and the feedback was great! Thank you to everyone who bought a copy and shared their feedback online. I very nearly didn't share it. I am SO glad that I did!

Next week I'll share the last of my 2022 wrap-up and see what comes next for February!



No comments:

Post a Comment