Friday, July 29, 2022

Vintage Julie Paper Doll

I loved two things specifically about the recent paper doll convention: all of the people are AMAZING and the variety of paper dolls I got to see was unbelievable! 

One of my paper doll pals found a vintage paper doll named Julie for me! 

How cute is that?! It even looks like me! Here's me on my fifth birthday with my very rad Barbie house & car (and in my favorite dress). You can't tell in this very '80s photo, but I have bright blue eyes just like our little vintage Julie paper doll.


It was unopened but I'll admit, my curiosity got the better of me. With permission from my favorite archivist (thanks Rachel!), I carefully opened it. I'm glad I did! The cellophane essentially disintegrated in my hands. The staples came out easily, thankfully. Inside, there was a sheet of cardboard which I am quite sure is not acid free. After taking it apart, I scanned all of it. 


The paper doll has 5 pages of outfits, four on the inside and one on the back cover. They are really bright! On the pages above, the only editing I did was to color correct the white background. It was slightly grey but not at all yellowed. 

In my very rudimentary research, I found that this is a Queen Holden illustration. It was issued and re-issued several times throughout the 1960s. Julie also had companion Trudy and Vicky paper dolls. This set isn't super valuable, another reason why I felt pretty good about opening it. 

And just for fun, I created a one page printable. I did a little bit of color correcting, some slight fit correction, and added cleaner tabs. Feel free to print it out and have fun playing!


No comments:

Post a Comment