Friday, March 30, 2018

Paper Doll Collaboration 2018 - Then and Now

It's time for another round of the collaboration project! This month's theme was re-interpreting  an old fashion as a new fashion.  I wasn't really sure where to go with this, but I follow an author on Instagram - Lydia Edwards - who wrote a book called How to Read a Dress. I haven't picked up the book yet.  Based on her fantastic Instagram feed, I probably should! Sometimes she compares old and new clothing styles and that's where I started this project.

On the left, I have an Elizabethan gown, complete with ruffs at the neck and hands, circa 1575.  On the right, a Giambattista Valli gown from 2017.

This portrait was the inspiration for my Elizabethan gown. I wasn't super fussy about including all of the details.

And the contemporary gown.  Again, I wasn't super fussy with pattern, details, etc. I really wanted the overall similarities to stand out.

For more in the ongoing collaboration project series, go check out Rachel's contribution and Melissa's contribution!

Also, happy spring holidays to everyone celebrating! We're having Easter with my family and very much looking forward to it & getting rid of all the snow!


4 comments:

  1. I love the two dresses you chose. I can really see the connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take any excuse to draw a ruff - historical or otherwise!!

      Delete
  2. I've gotten the book "How to Read a Dress" from the library, it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to track it down. She's writing a companion book about men's clothing so that should be interesting.

      Delete