Tuesday, December 8, 2015

December Paper Doll -- Santa Claus, Outfit 4

Ok, we're back on track today.  Sorry about that little mix up!

Today we have the first of what I call hunter plaid, but recently found out is actually called "buffalo check" or "buffalo plaid".  I'm not sure of its origins -- that's another project for another day.  The reason I always thought of it as hunter plaid is because that's what all of the hunters in my home state of Vermont wore during hunting season.  My father wears the red & black while one of my grandfather's wears green & black.  If you're ever in New England, go to Johnson Woolen Mills. I have my own Johnson Woolen hunting jacket (it was too small for my dad) and I love it. Warmest jacket I own and might end up being multi-generational.  It's built that well! Anyway, Johnson Woolen is an institution and was the inspiration for this set of outfits. 

Tomorrow, Mrs Claus is sporting her plaid outfit.  I need to add sewing to my list of things to learn.  I'd LOVE to make myself a quilt from Johnson Woolen flannel fabrics.  There's always time to learn!

Feel free to right-click to download this and I'll have the pdf at the end of the month!

If you're looking for the dolls, you can grab them here.

3 comments:

  1. buffalo plaid's been around since the 1850s ~ (woolrich mills claims to be the source of origin: http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/)

    probably derivative of scottish tartan and popularized by huntsmen throughout the 19th century ~ many of whom were buffalo hunters.

    also: can't wait to see mrs. claus' matching plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the buffalo plaid coat- that's really cute & I like the fold in the trousers.

    I've been enjoying your Santa and Mrs. Claus paper dolls this month so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll do an all plaid/tartan paper doll sometime! I love all things plaid. The history of plaid seems very interesting. I certainly didn't want to claim to know anything about the history of buffalo plaid but I totally want to find out more now!

    ReplyDelete