Friday, January 27, 2017

Paper Doll Collaboration 2017 - The Year I was Born

Instead of your regularly scheduled mix & match tween paper doll, we have the next installment of the Paper Doll Collaboration Project. (Need the doll? Grab it here.) You'll have to wait til February for more after this week...

The theme for this month is the Year You Were Born.  So yeah, you're all going to learn how old we are! Rachel and Boots have outfits, too, and I'll update the links when they're live. In theory, the outfits can mix & match.  Hats/hair probably won't.


So I was born in 1980.  My mother LOVED Princess Diana.  When I went to London for the first time, I made it a point to go to Harrod's and pick out something Princess Diana related for my mother.  This was late 1999, so not terribly long after the princess's death.

Anyway, my mother watched the marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. The earliest paper doll I ever remember owning was a Princess Di set.  Loved it.

Naturally, I thought Princess Di would be a perfect representation of the 1980s.  She was a style icon! This set is based on an outfit she wore in 1980, prior to her marriage. I wanted something sort of elegant. There's so much awful fashion from the 80s, but there's some good, too. And the hair! That flipped hair was everywhere!

Check out Paper Thin Personas and Pop Culture Paper Dolls for their installments, too.  And come back in February for a new theme!

EDIT: We're also added Melissa of Miss Missy Paper Dolls. Check out her contribution! 

5 comments:

  1. Diana is the perfect fashion icon for the 80s and this is the perfect representative style for her. those frilly blouses in the 80s were such the rage! : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how indicative of the 1980s and yet also timeless her fashion sense was. I can also see why there are so many Princess Diana paper dolls!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I was a fan of Princess Di, too. I have several sets of her paper dolls(and of Kate, too)I think I remember photos of her in this sweater and blouse. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Kate is so lovely in such a similar way! I remember braking the news to my mother when Princess Diana died and she did not take it well. Diana had such a way of appealing to the masses.

      Delete
  3. Love this. I really like the wig and the skirt. I also had a Princess Diana paper doll book.

    ReplyDelete