Friday, January 5, 2024

Wrap-up 2023: Personal Projects

It's hard to believe it's 2024! Holidays with teens & tweens are a bit different than when the boys were little. Fun, but different. I had a very busy 2023 both personally and artistically. My new studio was completed in January and that was HUGE! I have a dedicated space just for me. I also fully transitioned from my Surface Pro 7 to an iPad Pro/Procreate and a shiny new desktop computer. It's exactly what I needed to improve my art.

One of my goals for 2023 was to draw more, especially on paper and from life. There's a local art group that gets together twice a month for clothed model & still-life open sessions. I started going in June and by August, my youngest son started going with me, too. It's been great practice! You can see some of my drawings on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/julieamatthews/). Social media still confounds me, so I don't post all that often.

I'm not great at goal setting. I'm much more task-oriented: what needs to get done and can I do it RIGHT NOW? This post and the next are the things I managed to get done, starting with personal projects. 

First up, I did a study of Fanny Gray (here and here).

While not my favorite project, it was a good way to practice "painting" in Procreate. It was also clear to me after this project that I needed to make observation & drawing more of a priority.

Sparkling Sixties was one of two full-page paper dolls of mine in Paperdoll Review. You can find it on the inside cover of issue 87

My other full-page paper doll for Paperdoll Review is my Morticia Addams in issue 88. This was an absolute passion project for me and you can read more about it here. SO much fun! 

At about the same time, I decided to draw a Halloween paper doll just for fun. I thought it would be one page. It isn't. It will likely become a book in 2024. 

I got a bit carried away with Octavia! I'm not sure if I'll keep the title/name, etc, when I turn this into a book. We shall see!!

I had one more submission to Paperdoll Review this year in issue 89, Timeless Sailor Suits. 

It's a total dud and I am not happy with it at all! It was bad timing - my mother had her second total knee replacement surgery in October and most of the last quarter of the year consisted of me helping her out with appointments, etc. I also got the WORST cold and drew this while sick. Definitely do not recommend drawing while sick.

As much as I disliked this little sailor, I had two more projects that were pretty great: my annual holiday card paper doll and a very special project.

My skater has some flaws. I found the face really challenging. There are some perspective issues, too, especially with the back foot. And one of the skirts looks a little too much like tentacles and too little like fabric... Not bad and I'm mostly happy with it. Room to grow! 

And finally, one of the most exciting things I did this year was enter the Edward Gorey House Annual Envelope Art Contest. Every year, the museum has a contest. This year, I found out about it just days before the deadline and put together an Edward Gorey paper doll for the Dressed to Kill theme. It's pen and white gel pen on a kraft paper 6x9 envelope and it was TOUGH! 

I was a finalist in the contest! It's really rare for me to enter contests but I was really into this one! I was sent an official certificate & tickets to visit the museum with my family in the spring. It was a really nice way to cap off my year. 

The next post will focus on the books I illustrated this year and after that, I'll share a little bit about the books I've worked on for Paperdoll Review.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment