Friday, January 19, 2024

Wrap-up 2023: Editing Books for Paperdoll Review

I am so incredibly lucky to do what I do. It is a labor of love every single day. Not just the drawing and painting part. I mean, that's excellent. But my favorite part, really, is bringing other artist's work out into the world. Sometimes that's some light editing with cover designs. Sometimes it's a bit more involved, like completing work for an artist who has passed. It's always something I do with reverence and respect. Today I want to highlight a few of the books I worked on with Jenny at Paperdoll Review. 

The Nutcracker Ballet by Deanna Williams

This is a lovely book, beautifully illustrated by Deanna Williams. The thing I loved most about this book was the cover design. Sometimes a cover just comes together. With this one, I wanted it to feel like a stage production. There's a lake image that acts like a stage with trees acting as scenery. I really wanted to lean into the winter theme but I didn't want a blue color scheme. Instead, I picked up on the pinks and purples that show up throughout the book while also thinking about the pretty pinks and purples of winter sunrises and sunsets. A snowflake border adds a bit of whimsy to the whole thing.

Girl of Mine by Sandra Vanderpool

For this book, I had the art to work with and not much else. I knew that it was based on a song so I started researching that. I thought it might be fun to add the lyrics to the pages along with floral clip art that was reminiscent of turn-of-the-century scrapbooks. Maybe this was someone's scrapbook of a time they saw this song performed. I also thought the song was rather charming so I included the sheet music on the back page. There's a short period of time after the first World War and the Roaring 20s/Great Depression that has a really lovely aesthetic and I tried to express that here through the colors, fonts, and florals.

Fun Frocks for Flo, Fanny & Fionna by Larry Bassin


I try not to have favorites. Truly. And I love all of the books I work on. But this one was just so special and so unique. When Larry Bassin creates a paper doll, the doll, clothing, and background are often all part of the composition. It's gorgeous but it can make formatting for a book a bit challenging. So what I did is I carefully extracted the dolls and art in Photoshop and rearranged them on pages. Using the comic book aesthetic as inspiration, I added blocks of color to the backgrounds and used a font with an early comic book vibe. Larry was thrilled with how it turned out. Jenny was very pleased. And I'm super happy to get this fantastic art out into the world. It's so colorful and fun and fabulous. There aren't enough words for how much I love this book. 

Deco Dollies by Alina Kolluri

This was another extra special project. I absolutely adore Alina's art and there's something about it that always just clicks with me. Her Monster Party book has one of my favorite cover designs ever and that came out in 2023, too. Deco Dollies was a book design that David Wolfe had worked on. He came up with the composition and concept of the covers and interiors but it was never completed. I took his ideas and worked on them in Adobe Illustrator in order the get the clean, bold lines and colors just right. I often bounce between Photoshop and Illustrator. There are some things that are just easier in a vector format. It was really nice to bring David and Alina's vision for the book all the way to publication. 

There are so many terrific books that came out in 2023 that it would be hard to mention all of them here. Norma Lu Meehan's Victorian Christmas is lovely. Tom Tierney's Women in History Volumes 1 & 2 were a typography challenge and I'm rather pleased with those covers, too. You can keep up with the most current news about Paperdoll Review on Facebook (including a 2024 convention!! YAY!!) and shop for all of these beautiful books at Paperdoll Review.    

No comments:

Post a Comment