Friday, January 12, 2024

Wrap-Up 2023: My Books and a Bonus Book

Sometimes I struggle with art block. It's easy to make other people's art look amazing. I get really excited about that! But sometimes I find myself blocked. Maybe I can't come up with an idea. Or I have an idea that I don't think I can pull off. Or I have part of an idea. Or, what happened a lot this year - I have an idea and can't find the time to pull it off! I lost part of January 2023 in the construction of my studio and I lost a good chunk of October through December. Realistically, I was most active between February and September. I had a hand in three books this year: Everything Eighties, Sisters at Heart, and Styles of the 1920s. 



I want to start with Rachel's book, what I think of as my "bonus" book! I am so unbelievably happy to see this in print! Rachel is a dear friend and I've been an admirer of her blog & paper dolls for years. I love her detailed research and strong linework and she has an endless stream of creative topics. Rachel, Jenny, and I all agreed that I could take a crack at coloring Rachel's delightful drawings. It's not the first time I've colored Rachel's art. It's also not the first (or last) time that I've colored another artist's drawings. 

We were all really pleased with how it came together. I had an absolute blast coloring it. The covers were inspired by magazines of the 1920s and executed in Illustrator with simple shapes and lines. Rachel did a wonderful job of researching and drawing and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next! 

Before I move on to the two books I illustrated, I want to take a minute and talk about coloring line art. I've collaborated with several artists and artist estates where I have been asked to color or complete a project. It's humbling and I approach these projects with respect and reverence. I came across a social media post this year totally bashing one of these special projects. It was really hurtful and crushed my confidence. My style isn't for everyone. I get that. And no one has to like it. I believe strongly in constructive criticism and helping each other grow as artists. I could not imagine being that cruel to an artist myself. I continue to remind myself that social media is not real life and I will put more emphasis on those IRL interactions and less on the likes, clicks, and comments. We all should.

Anyway, on to happier projects! 

Everything Eighties, a totally rad paper doll book! 

This book started life as my 2022 holiday paper doll. I loved working on that and just could not stop thinking about it. I picked eight fashion fads from the 1980s and reinterpreted them in my own way. 

Some themes came together really easily. Some were a bit tougher. The cover design came together easily, and the interior borders did, too. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Sisters at Heart, a paper doll book celebrating friendship

This book is so incredibly special! I started attending conventions and paper doll parties a few years ago. If you haven't been to any, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is SO much fun!! I have met so many delightful folks at these events. One of those is Sharry O'Hare. She is a walking ray of sunshine. She had seen a previous commission of mine and asked if I could put together a book of her and her dear friend Laura (who, incidentally, roped me into the real-life paper doll world and I will be forever grateful for it!!!). I don't take a lot of commissions for a variety of reasons. But this one felt like a really natural fit.

Sharry loved it. Laura loved it. Jenny loved it, too, and with everyone in agreement, we went to press with it at Paperdoll Review. It's the story of a real-life friendship, but it could also be the story of any dear friendship. Working on this was one of the highlights of my year. Sharry is one of the co-hosts of the next paper doll convention and, again, I totally recommend going! You can find out more here

I have a couple of book ideas in the works for 2024 already. And in my next post, I'll share some of my design highlights from Paperdoll Review.


No comments:

Post a Comment