Friday, February 1, 2013

OPDAG's Circus Issue

The latest issue of Paper Doll Studio, published by OPDAG, arrived today.  I have a circus doll featured next to the amazing work of Tom Tierney.  I'm half-tempted to frame this just for that reason!!  See for yourself, in my grainy, low-res picture:

It's silly, I know, but it means the world to me to have my art next to his.  I think nearly every paper doll artist of my generation feels awed and inspired by the man.  I like the background that was added to my doll.  I don't use a lot of backgrounds or borders and I have often thought that I should.

Again, since this blog is all about technique, here's how I made the circus doll.  First, some inspiration.  My husband recommended I look at Cirque du Soleil.  I liked the idea of an element themed performer.  The base is air, the green outfit is earth, the red is fire, and the blue is water/ice.  I also wanted a watercolor doll.  I love creating digital work, but sometimes I need a brush in hand.  I wanted some sparkles and had a hard time achieving that, so I added some with Photoshop.  To do that, I created a seamless glitter texture using ArtRage and Photoshop.  Maybe I'll make that a lesson later on.

Here are the dolls to print should you choose to.  I'm thrilled with the way they turned out and the artists featured in the magazine are always an inspiration.






No comments:

Post a Comment