Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! This year my teen is staying home to pass out candy. He's never been a big fan of Halloween. He likes to get candy, of course, but that's about it. My youngest, however, is a HUGE Halloween fan. He & I both are!! So we'll take him out for all of the trick-or-treating he can handle. 

Today I have Octavia! I wanted to create a cute kiddo paper doll for Halloween. I've been looking at a lot of 70s & 80s greeting cards so that was an inspiration. 

I grabbed this image off of Etsy and there are LOADS of examples online. I wanted the feel of that kind of card. Aside from these, I also saw a balloon at my local supermarket that I loved! 

And finally, I love the art style of Carlianne Tipsey. Her Instagram is GREAT! I have an ebook copy of her "How to Draw Adorable" and thought I'd take a crack at some of the lessons. 


I started on paper. The sketches are actually pretty small. I was shooting for simple shapes and lines. It doesn't take much to work up an idea. Initially, I wanted stripey leggings and a cat shirt. Then, I tried putting a little Wednesday Addams style dress on and I didn't like that either. Finally, I settled on a little leotard with a spider web. I like how cute the whole thing looks! The pose is fun & active. At first, the eyes were all black but the pop of blue really works for me. The background is from Adobe Stock's free category & I tweaked it some in Illustrator.


Feel free to click on the image for the full size, right-click and save it to print. I love this doll SO MUCH! I think I might keep working on it until NEXT Halloween! 

Have a fun, safe, and sugar-filled Halloween!




1 comment: